Friday 16 May 2014

Five for Friday at the end of a wonderful week!

Two amazing things: I actually took photos worthy of a Five for Friday this week, and I'm posting on Friday! The world has turned on it's head.  Link up with Doodle Bugs to share five random moments from your week... but check out mine first! :)


1. I spent far too long this week matching up clipart kidlets with my classroom kidlets to make new book box labels!


Mel over at Graphics from the Pond has a collection of 100 Scrappy Kids and I found one that perfectly  captured the personality of each of my sweeties.  They loved  their little cartoon image and today's 'Read to Self' was especially exciting because we got to use the boxes with the new labels for the first time!



2. If you read my post yesterday (two posts in two days!) you would have seen the cute beach themed cupcakes we made earlier in the week. We continued the Summery vibe today with a playdough ice-cream stand in Outside Time!



We made a few batches of playdough and coloured them to make chocolate, strawberry, mint, vanilla and banana ice-cream.  There were tables and chairs, a cash register, spoons, bowls and real sprinkles! So much fun... and lots of language development as the kidlets took orders, gave their menu choice and chatted with their friends at the tables. :)

We painted ice-creams as well, using matchsticks on the cone part to get the waffle pattern.  The sandpit was set up as a beach, with boogie boards, umbrellas, towels and Beach Boys music playing... but I was so preoccupied ordering my ice-cream that I didn't get a photo!



3. I was at school until about 7pm tonight getting my classroom clean and tidy for our Open Day tomorrow.  Working on a Saturday isn't my number one favourite thing to do, but I do like the opportunity to give my room a bit of a spring clean.

The Alphabet Monster is all set up ready to meet prospective students and the families of current kidlets.


The sign says: Would you like to feed the Alphabet Monster?  Today he is eating words that start with t and s.

We also made these super colourful countdown rockets earlier in the week to brighten up a bare wall. I usually make this craft each year but had forgotten this year until I was reminded by my friend Jemima at Luck's Little Learners when she shared about a similar one she had made with her class.


We cut a mixed up number line into pieces and glued it down to count from 10 - 0, then added paper shapes and torn paper to make the rocket.  Before I displayed them I added a photo of each child as the window.

4. I finally got a chance to put down all of my Sit Spots!  I'd put down a few to test them but wanted the floor to be super clean before I set up the whole class.  I loved my old colourful rug... but I must admit I love my new polka dot floor space more!


And yes... as soon as I posted this photo I can see that I need to move the back row one spot over. I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about them being off-centre! 

5. Our current favourite Brain Break on GoNoodle is 'Let it Go' from (where else!) 'Frozen'.  My kidlets are absolutely desperate for me to let them watch the movie at school... as if we regularly watch random movies!  Yesterday, I got this Quote of the Day:


Me (trying to play a YouTube clip): Oh, it's frozen.
Kid: WE'RE WATCHING FROZEN!
All Other Kids: YAAAAAAAAY!
Me: No, not Frozen the movie... the computer's frozen.
Other Kid: This is the worst moment of my life.

It was honestly the quickest mood swing I had ever seen! (I sometimes post my funny Quotes of the Day on Instagram... follow me @lozzybeck and I'll follow you back!)

Well friends, I have about a million printed photos to turn into some sort of a display for Open Day tomorrow so I'd better get to it.  I'd love for you to leave me a comment and let me know how your week went!

Lauren

7 comments:

  1. That frozen comment just made my day!!! That would so be my kiddos. Girls and boys are both obsessed! I love your reading boxes with the clipart. That is so cute and special!!!! I am a new follower!
    Mrs. Spriggs’ Kindergarten Pond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Melissa! :)
      Isn't it amazing how Frozen has just captured the imaginations of kidlets all over the world! I must admit that I love it too. :)

      Delete
  2. I love every thing in this post - what a wonderful week you had!
    The Frozen comment is priceless :)
    Rainbow Lily Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great week - lots of exciting learning!
      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. The rockets look awesome! Glad I could remind you of them :) And super cool SitSpots! The polka dots looks cool.
    Your room looks so lovely and inviting! And the beach themed days sound awesome!

    Jemima
    Luck's Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your alphabet monster! I'm going to have myself one of those next year, once I can find a suitable box. Such a fun idea!

    Butterflying Through Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a tissue box for my Number Monster, he's a little bit smaller. The Alphabet Monster is a wine glass box! I just painted them and added a few decorations. :)

      Delete

Thanks for popping by!