Saturday 15 March 2014

Five for Friday! Quotes, Tim Tam slams, monsters and more!

Stopping by for a very quick Five for Friday today!  Link up with Doodle Bugs to join in on the fun.


1.

This week has had lots of ups and downs, my kidlets are giving me a run for my money and to be honest I'm feeling a little flattened by school.  I was looking through my Pinterest board of quotes the other day and came across this one:


Teaching kidlets in their very first year of school is so rewarding and fulfilling... but at times it is also draining and things happen that can make you feel so disheartened.  This week I had a moment of 'you know what, maybe I won't spend so much time, money and energy working on resources and planning activities for school' - and in the next moment looked into the eyes of one of my little treasures. I realised that whatever happens, my kidlets are the reason I teach and they deserve for me to give all I can.  So I'm very glad it's the weekend... a few days of sleep, food and relaxation and then right back into it on Monday!
(If you're a quote hoarder like me, come and follow my personal Pinterest boards!)

2.

We played a super easy sight word game this week that my kidlets went nuts for! All you need is a pocket chart (but you could also blu-tak the words to a board and it would work just as well), cards with sight words on them and some little pictures of monsters (or anything really - at this time of the year it might be cute to use leprechauns!).  Hide the monsters (I hid 4) behind the words and have the kids search for them.  I used this as an opportunity to reinforce some oral language skills, so I had them ask "Is there a monster behind the word _____?"  I then just flipped the word to see if there was or not! We played this more than once every day this week and they never grew tired of it. :)


3.

Speaking of sight words, I spent my evenings this week making a game themed to The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

At the moment it's the M100W version using an Aussie font, but the Dolch version is coming very soon! :)  So excited to use it with my kidlets next week!




(I must have been feeling super productive this week because I actually finished 2 products!  You can read about Spring into Phoneme Segmentation! in this post.)

4.

I made the mistake of buying a pack of Double Coat Tim Tams last weekend because my Mum and Dad were coming for afternoon tea.  Of course most of them were leftover, so I've been forced to eat the rest with my coffees as a Tim Tam Slam!


If you've never done a Tim Tam Slam before it's very easy - just bite the corners off (diagonally opposite each other) and then dip it in your coffee. Quickly use the Tim Tam like a straw and suck the coffee through it!  It will melt, so you need to pop the whole melty, warm, chocolately biscuit in your mouth straight away! :)

5.

My plans for the rest of the day involve a massage appointment, some time in the sun and an outdoor movie night by my friend's pool.  We're going to watch Frozen and eat frozen treats!  We are wishing that there was a Wendy's nearby so we could go get a Frosty - or even a DQ for a Blizzard but unfortunately we don't have either in Australia!


Have a wonderful weekend everyone!  

Lauren



9 comments:

  1. Your plants for a massage sound FANTASTIC! I wish that's where I was headed. :) I'm a new follower- I found you through Five for Friday!

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sight word game!! We are working a lot on oral language in my prep class, and this would be a great addition to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your kids will love it Jem!
      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Loving the monsters behind the sight words, such an easy but effective game! Am going to definitely try that with my kid lets! Thanks

    Butterflying Through Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy and can be themed to anything you're working on once the monsters get old! Hope your class loves it. :)

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh Tim Tam Slams - Best snack ever. You should try it with the caramel filled ones, but put them in the freezer first - makes it last longer
    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I have nominated you for a SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD because you bring sunshine to my world through your blog – see my post for more details. You must answer my 11 questions at the end of the post – write 11 questions for 11 other bloggers that you nominate. http://shawpaula.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/sunshine-award-x-3.html
    Paula from Paula’s Place

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by!